Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Thursday the 9th

I washed my coat yesterday because it was starting to look like I work in a coal mine and it came out of the dryer a shade lighter, I'm quite sure of it. I feel like a brand new woman wearing that coat! It's just so clean now.

During the week I typically wake up at 7 or 7:30. If the sky is overcast I tend to fall back asleep. If when I wake up the sky is clear, there is so much more incentive to get out of bed, shower and get ready. Only because you can watch the sun rise over the mountains. It's absolutely beautiful. As of late, the sun comes over the tip of the mountains around 9am. I like to grab breakfast and coffee and sit in front of the window in my bedroom, where you'll have the best view of the mountains, and take the early morning slow. It is such a good start to the day.

Bread is an important food for Kazakh people. Bread is served at every meal and like tea, a meal isn't a meal without bread. It's also looked down upon if you waste or throw bread away so many people feed their stale bread to their dogs. Or if you're walking along a street and are finished with your bread, rather than throwing it away you must put it on a ledge or a branch of a tree so that birds or animals can eat it. I saw a window ledge and a dumpster in the city that were both just piled with bits of bread. It's a strange sight.... but I guess it makes a little more sense after you learn the importance of bread in this culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment