Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday the 5th

All week I have been trying to post a new blog and the Internet wouldn't let me. Gads.

If you can't see out your car window due to frost, always remember the possibility that the ice may be on the inside of your window rather than the outside. The things you learn here, I tell ya!

Update: I began teaching English this week and Mike began teaching his 7th grade history class. On Friday, Mike and I joined some teachers and their families for shashlik (kebabs) which are DELICIOUS. Best meat I've had and no, it wasn't dog or horse.... they said it was chicken, beef, pork, and lamb. Then today we went out for breakfast at the 'American Bar & Grill' where the walls were decked out with old western decorations. There were however things like fake fish wall mounts where it sings when you push the red button or a little shelf that held bottles of Tabasco and Soy sauce... it's the little things that remind you of American, right?
Afterwards, we went to a bazaar called Tsum to browse the souvenirs. Mike got this whistle thing shaped like an owl and it sounds like one too. I got these little painted babushka ornaments and I love them.

We'll definitely be going back to purchase gifts and what not.
We have been here for 4, count 'em, FOUR weeks! Time has just flown.

One thing that Mike and I both love about Kazakhstan is that there is always time for tea. A meal isn't a meal without tea afterwards. It's just great. In Russian, the word for tea is 'chai' and M held up a bag of chai spice tea and asked me what kind it was because she hadn't tried it and I replied, 'Oh, it's chai.' She didn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment