Tuesday, January 17, 2012

about Kazakhstan...

1. Everything is in Russian or Kazakh. If you are English speaking only.. there is no hope for you unless you learn one of the two.
2. At night, the temperature can get below zero.
3. Driving is a free for all. Well, there is a dividing line on the pavement, but since there is snow you can't see it so one must follow the car ahead of you... Mike might have to drive in the next couple of weeks (!!)
4. It's really dirty here. Luckily I have a coat that is the color of dirt anyways. I brought a white one that I might use when we go skiing, but I don't dare wear it any other time. It would be brown by the  end of the day.  
5. The architecture and style of the city is very soviet-like- concrete, metal, harsh. but when it snows it is absolutely beautiful! I guess there was an initiative to increase the amount of greenery in the city, so there was a law that when a couple got married, they had to go plant a tree in the city and now there are tons of trees along the streets and in between buildings. When it snows, it gathers on all of the branches making the city seem less harsh.
6. There are wild dogs around the city, but especially in the neighborhood Mike and I live in. At night I will often wake up to a bunch of them barking. It gets old, fast. Just the other day we were walking around some streets, trying to get our bearing of where we were and we heard a commotion behind us  and looked back to see a pack of 6-8 dogs sprinting towards us! We had been warned before coming to Kazakhstan that many of these dogs might have rabies and will bite people. So we kind of freaked out, Mike headed toward a pile of rocks to pick one up as a defense, but thankfully they just passed us by. Maybe I'll carry that bottle of mace with me next time... stupid dogs.

I can't really think right now... I'm distracted by youtube ha! But I'll add more to this list later yes?
I hope you are enjoying the Michigan snow!
Much love from Kazakhstan!

1 comment:

  1. jeremy told me about the dogs but i thought he was lying to me

    also: wedding trees!! how nice!!

    ReplyDelete